Chicken Parmesan is a classic Italian dish that’s loved by everyone. Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan cooks in under 20 minutes so you can get a flavorful meal on the table in no time.
Under $5 per serving.
Suitable for gluten free diets. Post includes Weight Watchers points.
Juicy chicken smothered with sauce and cheese is the best thing ever.
Kids love it. Parents love it. It’s simple food, but it’s also a dish that could be served to company. This classic dinner is sure to be a family favorite that you return to over and over again.
Nothing can beat chicken breasts, cut into cutlets, all cooked up in a simple marinara sauce and topped with melted cheese. Yeap cooking this chicken in the Instant Pot is really easy.
Table of Contents
Lighter Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
The Olive Garden Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan Version of this classic dish is usually breaded. However, we’ve lightened up the dish a bit by skipping the breading that is often used in chicken parm.
That means that it is easy to make restaurant quality Chicken Parmesan instant pot at home which is not only tasty and easy but gluten free as well.
You won’t miss the breading, and you won’t have to do any frying so you can make dinner in a flash.
This chicken parmigiana is loaded with flavor but only uses a few ingredients, so it’s also a great budget-friendly meal option.
Why Make Chicken Parmesan
- A Lightened Classic – No breading makes this dish light but just as tasty as the classic version.
- Quick-cooking – With only a few mins cooking time, get dinner on the table in about 20 minutes.
- One pot – pretty much dump it all in and start, then top with a little cheese and you are done.
- Kid-friendly – This dish is family-friendly and kid-approved.
- Dietary – suitable for gluten free diets.
Tools To Make This
- Chicken Cutlets – If you can find chicken cutlets in the store, you can purchase boneless skinless chicken breasts and cut them into thin slices. I am usually able to get about 3 cutlets per chicken breast.
- Italian Seasoning – If you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can use a combination of dried oregano, parsley, and basil. Dried rosemary also makes an excellent addition.
- Marinara – Use homemade or jarred marinara sauce. Use any tomato sauce you like instead.
- Garlic – Freshly minced garlic is our top choice. You can season the dish with granulated garlic in a pinch.
- Cheese – Grated Parmesan cheese and sliced or shredded Mozzarella cheese are the classic cheese choices for this dish. You could also use provolone.
How To Make Instant Pot Parmesan Chicken
Get full ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
- Pour half of the marinara and the garlic into the Instant Pot.
- Season the chicken cutlets and add them on top of the layer of sauce.
- Add the remaining sauce, then cover and seal the Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes, followed by a quick release of pressure.
- Top the chicken with cheese and cover the Instant Pot (don’t turn it back on) for a few minutes to melt cheese.
- Serve over pasta with torn fresh basil etc.
Make This With Breaded Chicken
You can make chicken parmesan breaded chicken if you prefer. You would need to bread the cutlets and fry them in some olive oil first using the sauté mode on the pressure cooker.
When done you would cook the breaded chicken on a trivet over the marinara sauce. This way you avoid the meat going soggy.
Tips For Success
- Get thinner cutlets when you pound the cut chicken breasts with a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
- If your chicken is relatively thick, you may want to brown the chicken slightly using your Instant Pot’s saute function and some olive oil. Or you can brown these on the stovetop.
- You can start with breaded chicken if you prefer. You would need to bread and fry it in some olive oil first.
- If you want you can brown the chicken first before adding into the tomato sauce.
- Don’t worry you will not get a burn notice with this recipe as it cooks for such a short time.
- Feel free to broil the final dish after cooking in the Instant pot to get that golden bubbly crispy cheese.
- Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. Chicken should always be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F / 74C.
Looking for a twist on traditional chicken parmesan in the Instant Pot…
- Make it Spicy – Spicy chicken parm is a fun twist on this classic. Stir a teaspoon (or more to taste) of crushed red pepper into the sauce before adding to the Instant Pot.
- Make leftover sauce this into a pasta sauce by thinning it out with a little chicken broth.
- Feel free to finish this off with some salt and pepper.
- Choose Chicken Carefully – Specialty cuts are often more expensive. You will pay more per pound for chicken tenders and chicken cutlets than you will for chicken breast. Look for chicken breast and cut it into cutlets yourself to save a little money at the checkout.
- Bulk it Up – Stir sliced olives or mushrooms into the sauce for more bulk.
- Add Pasta – Chicken parmesan is traditionally served over a bed of spaghetti. Add your favorite pasta to make this a heftier meal.
- Make Sandwiches – Serve leftover chicken on a crusty roll for a delicious chicken parmesan sandwich.
- Leftover Parm Casserole – Chop up leftover chicken and mix it with cooked pasta and sauce. Top with grated parmesan and bake at 350F / 176C for about 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Make Ahead and Storage
This Chicken Parmesan Instant Pot recipe is perfect for prepping ahead.
- Prep Ahead – Although leftovers can be reheated, this chicken parmesan is so easy to make, we recommend that you make it fresh.
- Store – Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to four days in an airtight container.
- Freeze – if freezing, do so without the cheese. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- This recipe stores for 4 days so you can eat it on the day you cook it plus for more days.
- Seperate leftovers into up to 4 portions in airtight meal prep containers and let cool completely with the lids off.
- When cool, close them and refigerate for up to 4 days.
- Reheating in the oven is the best method as the chicken can get rubbery when reheated in the microwave.
- To vary it up through the week feel free to add in other leftovers like cooked veggies, pasta, mashed potatoes, salad and more.
Chicken cutlets are thin pieces of chicken. Butterfly a chicken breast (for larger breasts, you can often cut three slices) and pound the chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap using a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
The key is to have uniformly thick chicken for even cooking.
Classically, chicken parmesan is served with spaghetti, and it’s our favorite way to enjoy this dish.
You can serve pressure cooker chicken parmesan with any pasta, over mashed potatoes, or even with rice. If you prefer, serve it with steamed veggies or a side salad. It’s a versatile dish.
More Easy Instant Pot & Other Recipes For You
- Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Thighs.
- Instant Pot Chicken Spagetti.
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken.
- Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl.
- Dump and Start Instant Pot Chicken Stew.
- Chicken Parmesan Sliders.
- Check out all my Instant Pot Recipes.
- Serve over some Garlic Butter Pasta <= our family favorite.
- Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes <= kids love it with this.
- Serve with mashed cauliflower or zucchini noodles to lighten it up.
Weight Watchers Points
There are 8 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of this.
And let me know if you tried this recipe.
Get The Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan Recipe:
Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
- Season the chicken breast on both sides with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Add half the marina sauce and the garlic to the Instant Pot insert and and mix.
- Place the seasoned chicken on top, then cover with the remaining marinara.
- Cover and seal your Instant Pot, set to high pressure, pressure cook (or manual) for 3 minutes.
- Once done, perform a quick pressure release (QPR).
- Open the lid and sprinkle on the parmesan and mozzarella. Place the lid back on for a few minutes so the cheese melts.
- Sprinkle on parsley and serve over pasta or mashed potatoes.
- Get thinner cutlets when you pound the cut chicken breast with a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
- If your chicken is relatively thick, you may want to brown the chicken slightly using your Instant Pot’s saute function.
- Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. Chicken should always be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F /74C.
- There are 8 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of this.