This creamy Chicken Chicken Fajita Pasta is cheesy, and flavorful comfort food meal which cooks fast in the Instant Pot, making it the perfect meal for your busy family.
If you love food with a southwestern flair, this chicken fajita pasta is going to become one of your favorite meals. You’ll add this to your regular meal rotation because it’s easy and SO flavorful.
And just like my 5 ingredient Chicken Fajita Casserole, this Chicken Fajita Foil Packs, and Chicken Burrito Bowl In the Instant Pot. you won’t believe how tender and juicy the chicken cooks! The pasta is perfectly coated with a creamy sauce bursting with Mexican spices and loaded with onions, colorful peppers, salsa, and cheese. This is pure comfort food.
It goes great served with this easy refreshing Melon Agua Fresca too, so much yum.
This entire meal cooks in the Instant Pot, meaning you can make a healthy and flavorful dump and go, one-pot meal for your family in practically no time. Don’t dread the busy nights anymore because you can get this frugal dinner your whole family will love on the table in minutes!
Why Make This Recipe
- One-Pot – Make this flavorful chicken fajita pasta in one pot. Easy cooking, easy cleanup.
- Flavorful – If you love Mexican food, you will love this pasta recipe.
- Economical – Feed your whole family hearty portions without spending a fortune.
- Chicken – We’re using cubed chicken breast. Feel free to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chicken tenders, or whatever you have on hand.
- Pasta – You can use any kind of dried pasta in this recipe.
- Chicken Broth – Substitute vegetable broth or water.
- Fajita Seasoning – You can use your favorite Mexican seasoning blend or even make your own using spices you already have on hand.
- Half and Half – Half and half will create a thick and creamy sauce. You can substitute milk, but the sauce may not be as creamy.
- Salsa – Use your favorite jarred salsa.
- Bell Peppers – Use a variety of bell peppers to add color to this dish.
How To Make One-Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta
Get full ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
- Add chicken stock to the Instant Pot and then add the pasta making sure it is submerged in the stock.
- Without stirring, layer the red onion, fajita seasoning, oregano, salt, and chicken into the Instant Pot, finishing with the tomato salsa.
- Seal and cook at high pressure for 4 minutes, followed by a quick pressure release.
- Stir in the bell peppers, half and half, and the cheese. Cover and let stand for 7 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve.
Note: Cooking times do not include the time it takes for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure.
Tips For Success
- If using long pasta, break the pasta in half or thirds before adding it to the instant pot.
- Use a wooden spoon to make sure the pasta is fully submerged.
- Add remaining ingredients on top of the pasta without stirring.
- Make it Spicy – You can easily change this recipe’s heat level if you use spicier salsa. Go ahead and kick up the heat! Or add in some jalapenos.
- Make Your Own Fajita Seasoning – Fajita seasoning is easy to make yourself, and you probably have all the individual spices in your pantry. Save money and mix your own seasoning blends to save money.
- Double the Recipe – Double the recipe and save the leftovers for easy meals. Cook once and eat all week.
- Use Leftover Chicken – Substitute leftover chicken from a previous meal or use rotisserie chicken. Add in the already cooked chicken after the pasta has cooked.
- Freeze Onions and Bell Peppers – Save leftover raw onions and bell peppers in the freezer for up to 2 months. No need to thaw; just toss in and cook as directed.
Make Ahead, Storage and Meal Prep
- Make Ahead – Prep all the veggies and chicken the night before. When you get home, toss everything into the Instant Pot for a super quick and easy meal.
- Reheat – This chicken fajita pasta is a perfect make-ahead meal. Simply reheat in the microwave when you are ready to eat.
- Store – Store leftover fajita chicken pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze – Freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Meal prep –
- This is a great recipe for meal prep. Cook once and eat for days.
- Separate leftover pasta into eat sized 4 portions in airtight meal prep containers (microwave safe) and let cool completely with the lids off.
- When cool, close them and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Change it up by serving with grilled meats or fish or a salad
How Can I Get Tender Bell Peppers?
We add the bell peppers after pressure cooking and cover for about 6-7 minutes, so they soften a bit, but they still have quite a bit of crunch.
If you prefer tender peppers, saute them in the instant pot before proceeding with the recipe, then remove them to a plate to add back in at the end. If you want softer peppers then pressure cook with the pasta but make sure to cut them up big.
Can I Use Leftover Chicken?
Using leftover chicken is a great way to stretch a recipe. Add defrosted shredded chicken in place of the cubed chicken breast and cook as directed.
Can I Use Homemade Salsa?
Canning your own salsa is such a frugal option, and homemade salsa would be delicious in this recipe.
More Recipes You May Like
- Chicken Fajita Foil Packs.
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Chicken Fajita Casserole.
- Instant Pot Taco Pasta
- Melon Agua Fresca (my fav refreshing drink)
Weight Watchers Points
There are XX Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of this.
Tools To Make This
Get The Chicken Fajita Pasta Recipe:
Instant Pot Fajita Pasta
- Add chicken stock, pasta red onion, fajita seasoning, oregano, salt and chicken into the Instant Pot without mixing. Make sure the pasta is submerged.
- Top with the tomato salsa but don’t mix.
- Cover and seal the Instant Pot, select high pressure, the pressure cook (manual) function and cook for 4 minutes.
- When done quickly release the pressure and then quickly mix add in the peppers, half and half and grated cheese, and cover let stand for 7 minutes allowing peppers to soften.
- Stir and serve.