- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound (453g) chicken thighs
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup (225g) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (236ml) chicken stock
- ½ cup (123g) sour cream
- Juice from 1 lemon
Set the Instant Pot on the sauté setting and melt the butter. Add chicken and cook until the skin is golden brown, around 3 minutes. Flip and cook for 2 more minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add red onion and paprika and cook, stirring constantly until the red onion is softened and the paprika is fragrant, around 3 minutes. Add garlic and cornstarch and stir to combine.
Stir in the tomato sauce and chicken stock. Return the chicken thighs to the pot. Close the lid and valve and set on high pressure for 10 minutes. When done perform a quick pressure release.
Open the lid, stir in the sour cream and lemon juice, then serve.
- Always check for doneness with a meat thermometer. The temperature should be 165F / 74C when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken. If you use drumsticks or chicken breasts instead of thighs, you may need to adjust your cooking time.
- Use authentic Hungarian Paprika. Its flavor is similar to the paprika you probably have in your pantry but a bit sweeter and more robust in flavor.
- Use fresh paprika. No matter what kind of paprika you use, buy a new bottle. Paprika that’s been in your pantry for several years will be dull and nowhere near as flavorful as fresh paprika.
- Don’t add the sour cream until the very end, just before serving.
- Leftovers should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container and used within three days. The sour cream may curdle slightly while reheating, and while the sauce may not be as smooth, the flavor will still be the same.
Calories: 441kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 143mg | Sodium: 573mg | Potassium: 706mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3296IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 3mg