- ½ cup (120ml) unsweetened pineapple juice canned
- ½ cup (120ml) gluten free soy sauce
- ½ cup (117g) ketchup
- ⅓ cup (65g) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sriracha optional or more to tastew
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 10 bone-in skinless chicken thighs excess visible fat removed
- 1 pineapple peeled and cut into wedges
- Green onions for garnish
Make the marinade by combining pineapple juice, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, sriracha, and sesame oil in a mixing bowl.
Set aside about ½ cup of the marinade for basting.
Add chicken pieces into a zip-top bag, pour in the marinade, make sure all pieces are well-coated, squeeze out the excess air, seal, and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat grill to medium and oil the grill grates.
Grill chicken for about 5-6 minutes per side (or until internal temperature reaches 165F / 74C), basting with the reserved marinade as it cooks.
When chicken is almost done, baste the pineapple wedges with the reserved marinade and grill until the develop char/grill marks.
Garnish chicken and pineapple with sliced green onions.
To Make in Air Fryer:
Preheat the air fryer to 350 F / 180C. Place chicken thighs inside the air fryer basket, making sure they are not touching (you may need to cook in batches) and air fry for 10-11 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken, or until the internal temperature reaches 165F / 74C.
When the chicken is done, baste the pineapple wedges, place them in the air fryer basket and cook for 2-3 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
Garnish chicken and pineapple with green onions, then serve.
- If the marinade is too thick, add 1-2 more tablespoons of pineapple juice.
- Reserve a ½ cup of the marinade for basting the chicken and pineapple.
- Never reuse marinade that has come in contact with raw chicken.
- Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case you have flare-ups when you are cooking the chicken.
- Always check for doneness with a meat thermometer. The temperature should be 165F / 74C when inserted into the thickest part of chicken breasts.
- Store – leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Use within 4 days.
Calories: 454kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 43g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 194mg | Sodium: 1771mg | Potassium: 888mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 283IU | Vitamin C: 92mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 3mg