- 1 pound (452g) macaroni cooked according to package directions
- ½ cup (113g) butter
- ½ cup (68g) flour
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 1 cup (140g) chicken cooked and shredded
- ⅓ cup (75ml) buffalo hot sauce
- 1 cup (113g) mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 ½ cups (169g) cheddar cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to combine, cook for 2 minutes.
Pour in the milk and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the sauce starts to thicken (around 4 minutes).
Mix in the chicken and buffalo sauce.
Add the cheeses and cook for 2 more minutes, or until fully melted.
Stir in the macaroni, making sure to coat evenly.
- Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water. If the cheese sauce is too thick once you add the macaroni you can thin it by adding a little bit of the pasta waster at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
- There is no need to heat the chicken before adding to the pan. It will heat through while the cheese melts.
- Taste for seasoning before adding the salt. Sometimes the butter and cheese add enough saltiness and additional salt may not be needed.
Store - Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave. Add a bit of water if the sauce has become dry.
- Use Leftover Chicken - Buy rotisserie chicken on sale, shred it, and store it in the freezer.
- Use What You Have - Use the noodles and cheese that you have on hand rather than buying something special. Both the cheese and noodles can be swapped with other kinds.
- Shop Sales - Pasta is shelf stable and cheese freezes well so look for both on sale.
Calories: 521kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 619mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 786IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 310mg | Iron: 1mg