- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 6 small shallots or one small onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 head cabbage cored, cut into 1-inch pieces, and washed
- garlic salt to taste
- 6 slices cooked bacon cut into pieces
- 1 cup (236ml) chicken stock
Heat oil in a skillet or large saucepan over medium heat, add in shallots and sauté for a couple of minutes until softened.
Add the cabbage and a fourth of the bacon and cook for a minute.
Mix in the garlic salt (and any adds in like ginger and creole seasoning) and stock, cover and simmer for 12 minutes (to have cabbage with a little bite) to 18-20 minutes (for softer cabbage).
Uncover, adjust seasonings as needed. Then switch off the heat and top with the remaining bacon.
Serve as is for a low carb dish, or with rice or cornbread as a main dish.
- Cut the cabbage to the same size so it cooks at the same rate.
- Cook time will depend on the size of the cabbage pieces. These are 1-inch pieces and need between 12-18 minutes. Larger 2-inch pieces may need up to 25 minutes.
This smothered cabbage recipe are delicious as is, but here are a few variations to try:
- Change the meat - Use leftover ham or smoked turkey instead.
- Make it Vegan - Simply omit the bacon and use vegetable stock to make this a vegan dish.
- Add heat - Red pepper flakes, chipotle or cayenne is an easy way to add heat.
- Use different seasonings – Cajun seasoning, creole seasoning, Greek seasoning, oregano, thyme, dill, rosemary, etc.
- Add extra veggies - Add in some potatoes to bulk it out as a main meal.
- Use the type of cabbage you have on hand. Just adjust cooking times.
- Feel free to double up the recipe for meal prep.
Storage And Meal Prep
- Refrigerate – let cool and store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Don't Freeze – I don’t recommend freezing this dish.
- Make an extra batch or two that you can use with other meals throughout the week.
- This recipe stores for 4 days, so you can eat it on the day you cook it plus 4 more days.
- Separate leftovers in single serving-sized portions, place in airtight meal prep containers and let cool completely with the lids off before sealing and storing.
- To vary it up through the week serve it up with different mains like leftover rotisserie chicken, cheesy parmesan chicken, or fish. You can also use it to bulk out leftover soups and stews.
Weight Watchers Points
There are 3 Blue Plan SmartPoints in a serving of this.
Calories: 179kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 337mg | Potassium: 635mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 230IU | Vitamin C: 86mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 2mg