- 1 pound (450g) chicken breast boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 3 cups (750ml) enchilada sauce divided
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 ½ cups (125g) shredded cheese
Place the chicken, taco seasoning and 2 cups of the enchilada sauce inside the crockpot.
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours
When done, roughly shred the chicken using 2 forks.
Preheat the oven to 400F / 204C.
To assemble, fill each tortilla with approximately ⅓ cup chicken and 2 tablespoons of cheese, then place in a baking dish. Top with the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
Tips For Success
- Don’t open the slow cooker. This releases a lot of heat and can affect cooking time.
- You can warm the tortillas in the microwave to make them easier to roll when filling.
- Double the recipe to make extra for freezing or use in other recipes.
- Make it Spicy - Make these enchiladas extra spicy by choosing a spicy enchiladas sauce or adding a teaspoon of crushed red pepper to the sauce in the slow cooker. Use pepper jack cheese.
- More Mexican Meals - Use the shredded chicken in rice bowls, tacos, quesadillas, and more.
- Italian Enchiladas - Swap the taco seasoning for Italian seasoning, the enchilada sauce for tomato sauce, the tortillas for cooked noodles, and use mozzarella cheese.
- Buy Chicken In Bulk - Purchase chicken in bulk packages and freeze individual breasts for easy portioning later on. We stock up on chicken at the discount club stores or when it’s on sale.
- Taco Seasoning - Large jars of taco seasoning are less expensive than the individual packets. It’s also easy to make your own seasoning with spices you already have on hand.
- Use the Chicken In Other Ways - Add the enchilada chicken to tacos, rice bowls, taco soup, and quesadillas. The possibilities are endless.
- Block Cheese - Many times, block cheese is less expensive than pre-shredded cheese, and it only takes a few moments to shred it yourself.
More Recipes You May Like
Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 2329mg | Potassium: 523mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 1678IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 369mg | Iron: 3mg