- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup (115g) butter
- 1 cup (120g) all purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups (980 ml) oil for frying
- Sifted powdered sugar and cinnamon or cinnamon sugar
Mix the first 4 ingredients in a pan, bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
Add flour and continue to mix thoroughly. Remove from heat and continue to mix until smooth and the dough comes away from the side of the pan.
Add eggs one at a time, mix until smooth. Set aside to cool.
Heat oil in a deep skillet. Fill a cake decorator bag with dough and a ½” star tip. Push out 7” long ribbons of dough, a few at a time, into hot oil and fry 5 minutes while turning until golden brown in color.
Remove churros from oil and drain on paper towels. While still warm, roll in powdered sugar.
- Homemade Churros taste the best when served warm.
- Use disposable cake decorator bags with tips that can be cut to any dimension to make these exactly how you want them.
- Out of cake decorator bags? Use a ziplock bag and cut the corner off to use to pipe out the dough.
- Check the temperature of the oil frequently. Every time you add dough to the skillet, the temperature will drop.
- You may want to start heating your oil before you make the dough if you’re short on time.
Churros are a fun dessert that you can change up a bit to create your new family favorite. Try these different coating ideas and a few options to dip them in.
- Trade out the powdered sugar coating: cinnamon, sugar, or a cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Try these dips: chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, honey, maple syrup, nutella or whipped cream.
Calories: 262kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 317mg | Potassium: 71mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 835IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg