For the Buffalo Chicken:
- ½ cup (14g) buffalo sauce
- 1 tablespoon melted butter if grilling method
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 chicken breasts
For the Buffalo Mayo:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon buffalo sauce
- seasonings of choice, optional garlic powder, onion powder, paprika
For The Sandwiches:
- 2 buns
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato sliced
- ½ red onion sliced
Air Fryer Instructions
Mix the buffalo sauce with paprika and onion powder.
Coat the chicken with the sauce.
Preheat Air Fryer to 350F / 180C.
Add the chicken breast to the air fryer and cook for 14 minutes turning halfway through.
In a small bowl, make the buffalo mayo by mixing together mayonnaise, buffalo sauce, and seasonings of choice (if using).
Assemble the sandwiches using the buns, buffalo chicken, buffalo mayo, onion, lettuce, and tomato.
Grill / Skillet Instructions
Combine the buffalo sauce with paprika and onion powder.
Lightly brush the chicken breast fillets with olive oil.
Heat a grill pan, grill or skillet over medium heat.
Cook the chicken for 3-5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
Mix melted butter and buffalo sauce and rub all over the cooked chicken breasts.
Make the buffalo mayo by mixing together mayonnaise, buffalo sauce, and seasonings of choice (if using) in a small bowl.
Assemble the sandwiches, serve and enjoy.
Tips For Success
- When cooking chicken, always check for doneness with a meat thermometer. The temperature should reach 165F.
- For even cooking, use a meat mallet to pound chicken to an even thickness.
- Prepare your mayo in advance (up to 24 hours) to give it time to develop flavor.
- Grill the buns or heat them in the air fryer for even more flavor.
- Buffalo Blue Cheese - Buffalo sauce and blue cheese go hand in hand. Add fresh blue cheese crumbles to your sandwich or replace the mayo in the recipe with blue cheese dressing.
- More Heat - If you really like it hot, add a bit of cayenne pepper to the buffalo sauce mixture and top your sandwich with sliced hot peppers.
- Add Cheese - Add a slice of your favorite cheese to these sandwiches.
- Flavored Buns - Use traditional hamburger buns or try onion rolls or hawaiian rolls for even more flavor.
- Buffalo Sliders - Slice each chicken breast into two or three smaller pieces and put them on slider buns for a tasty and simple appetizer.
- Split the Chicken Breasts - Chicken breasts are much larger than they were even 10 years ago. Depending on your appetite, you may be able to split a single chicken breast between two people by butterflying down the middle.
- Use Leftover Chicken Breasts - Reheat leftover chicken breasts according to your favorite method then coat them in the buffalo sauce, butter, and seasoning mixture before assembling the sandwiches.
- Use Leftover Shredded Chicken - Don’t overlook leftover shredded chicken for these sandwiches! Toss the chicken with the buffalo sauce and seasonings and microwave to reheat. Pile onto sandwiches with the other ingredients.
- Freeze Your Buns - Buns come in packages of 8 but there is no reason to throw them away when you only need two. Place leftover buns into freezer bags and freeze them for up to 3 months. Defrost them on the counter for about an hour.
- Make A Salad - Serve leftover chicken on a bed of lettuce with tomato, slices of onion, and blue cheese dressing for a delicious lunch.
Weight Watchers Points
If you omit the butter and use a calorie-controlled cooking spray, there are 7 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of this.
Calories: 601kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 55g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 151mg | Sodium: 2573mg | Potassium: 1042mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1086IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 12mg