- 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs or two chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons shawarma spices
- ½ red onion sliced
- ½ cucumber sliced
- 2 cups (140g) shredded purple cabbage
- 4 pita wraps
- ½ cup (123g) yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
Combine oil and shawarma spices to create a paste. Rub half of the paste over the chicken and allow it to marinate for a few minutes.
While the chicken sits, chop the onion an cucumber, and make the sauce by combining yogurt and garlic in a small bowl.
Heat a BBQ grill, grill pan or skillet and cook the chicken until cooked through. Slice and top with the remaining marinade paste.
To assemble the sandwiches, layer sliced chicken and veggies on the sandwich wrap and top with yogurt sauce.
Tips For Success
- Pound the chicken to get even thickness across each piece. This will help you maintain juicy, evenly cooked chicken pieces.
- Marinate the chicken. You can certainly go directly to the grill with this chicken but the longer you marinate (up to 24 hours) the more flavorful the meat.
- Always use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F / 74C.
- Prep the sauce in advance for the best flavor. Let the yogurt sauce refrigerate for at least an hour to develop the flavors.
- Warm the pitas in the microwave oven for a few seconds and the sandwiches will be easier to roll.
- Customize to Fit What You Have - The shawarma sandwich is tasty but you can use the meat to make a plate, bowl, or salad too. No need to buy wraps if you don’t have any on hand.
- Add Other Veggies - Cabbage, onion, and cucumber are classic selections but you can bulk this up by adding lettuce, peppers, olives, avocado, hummus, chickpeas, or whatever you have on hand.
- Feed A Crowd - Because this meal is big on flavor you can easily feed a crowd without having to go overboard on any one ingredient.
- Use Rotisserie Chicken - Rotisserie chicken (or any leftover chicken) is a great, budget-friendly option especially when you can purchase them on sale. Simply toss shredded chicken with half of the shawarma marinade and reheat it in a grill pan or skillet then proceed with the recipe as directed.
Weight Watchers Points
There are 7 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of this.
Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 428mg | Potassium: 574mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 581IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 125mg | Iron: 2mg