- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion peeled, cut in half and sliced
- 6 chicken thighs bone in and skin on
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken broth
Preheat oven to 400F / 204C / gas 6
Sauté onions in a skillet until tender, then transfer to a baking dish.
Brown the chicken for 2-3 minutes per side and place skin side up over the onions in the baking dish.
Combine cinnamon, paprika, salt, pepper, honey (or maple syrup), and chicken broth and pour it over the chicken.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until juices run clear and the temperature reaches 165F / 74C
Tips For Success
- To really develop the flavor, brown the chicken in a skillet before adding it to a baking dish.
- Always check for doneness with a meat thermometer. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of at least 165F / 74C.
- Add a Veggie - Roasted carrots, steamed broccoli, or canned green beans would all make a great accompaniment for this dish.
- Serve With a Side - Adding rice, potatoes, couscous, or quinoa will add a lot of bulk to this recipe.
- Make a Flavorful Salad - Toss leftover chicken with leftover rice, couscous, or quinoa and drizzle with a vinaigrette made by combining ⅓ cup cider vinegar, ⅓ cup honey, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ cup canola oil. Serve it for lunch or dinner the next evening.
- Save With Whole Chicken - Chicken thighs are budget-friendly, but you can often buy a whole chicken for even less. Cut the chicken yourself and use the thighs, wings, and legs for this recipe, and reserve the breasts for another use.
- Save the Bones for Broth - Save the bones and toss them into a bag in the freezer. When you have enough saved up, fill a stockpot with bones, leftover vegetable ends, and water. Simmer to make a flavorful chicken broth.
Weight Watchers Points
There are 8 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of this.
Calories: 291kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 92mg | Potassium: 307mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 254IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg