- 1 lb (450g) baby potatoes halved or cut into thirds if large
- 2 large carrots scrubbed and roughly cut into chunks
- 1 ½ cups (150g) cabbage cut into large chunks
- 2 cups (473ml) chicken stock
- 4 cooked smoked bacon slices diced
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander optional
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- salt & pepper
- 1 pound (453g) skinless boneless chicken breast diced into ¾ inch cubes
Add all of the ingredients into the Instant Pot insert, then top with the diced chicken. Do NOT mix.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot, turn the valve to the sealing position, and set to high pressure, pressure cook/manual cook for 6 minutes.
When done, allow for a natural pressure release (NPR) of 4-5 minutes, then perform a quick pressure release.
Open the lid, adjust seasonings as needed, and serve.
Tips For Success And Variations
- Cut the vegetables into thicker chunks than you normally would so they retain their shape. This is especially important for the cabbage.
- You can add up to another cup of chicken stock for more liquid if needed.
- Cut the chicken breast into larger pieces so that it does not overcook.
- Feel free to use chicken thigh meat instead – it is fattier and has a bit more flavor.
- For those who like a little heat, add some red pepper flakes or chipotle.
- Use different herbs, like fresh rosemary and oregano.
Budget Friendly Tips
This is already a super frugal dish since you only need 2 chicken breasts, but there are a few more ways to make it even more economical:
- Double the veggies – add twice as many veggies and double the rest of the ingredients, excluding the chicken, and you can have it for 2 meals.
- Bulk it out by adding beans for more affordable protein instead of chicken.
- You can make this with leftover chicken instead. Omit the chicken and cook everything else, then at the end add in leftover, precooked chicken.
- Add leftover rice or pasta to make it even more hearty.
Weight Watchers Points
There are 7 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of this.
Calories: 380kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 483mg | Potassium: 1228mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5191IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 2mg